Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Let's Talk About Mex, Baby

What an adventure, gang, what an adventure.

This place is nuts. Streets have no regard for bearing in any estimable cardinal direction. Right angles were a completely lost concept on the street-builders of Mexico City. Pythagoras would shit a brick in this place.

As such, I generally travel around having no clue where I am. I ride in taxis and am sure that I am being kidnapped, taken to some remote corner of the city, only to magically arrive at my destination. Most of the taxi drivers just laugh at me when i ask them if they are sure of the route they're taking. Of course they are, silly gringo.

I have been posted up in my apartment in Colonia La Condesa for a few weeks now. I've managed to memorize a walking route to the Superama grocery store and the Parque México a few blocks over. My neighborhood is quaint, mostly consisting of Japanese restaurants and fancy furniture galleries. Like, on every other block. It's pretty hilarious. Sushi down here has cream cheese in everything, though. Not so hot.

The amount of soccer that comes on the tele down here is phenomenal. Did anybody see that craziness in the Denmark - Sweden Euro 2008 Qualifier? Yeah, I pretty much figured you didn't. Americans, so soccer-deprived. Trust me, it was noteworthy. Worthy of a note. Which is what this paragraph serves as, I suppose.

I like to write in parallels. Thenceforth I will relate to you something totally awesome about living in Mexico City, and something that is totally balls.

Awesome: I have a "muchacha" that comes and cleans my house everyday. I'm talking does my laundry, ironing, dishes, sheets, bathroom, trash, the whole mcgarnigle. I pay her 60 pesos, about 6 bucks. A week.

Balls: Indoor plumbing in Mexico only got halfway there. They've got the water-closet, just like home. But, don't even think about sending the paper down with your departed pool patrons. I can't explain to you the melange of odors that a bathroom-wastebasket full of an entire party's poo-shards exudes. I genuinely can't.

I have managed to meet a whole slew of ex-pats in my neighborhood, mostly middle or east-coast Americans and Brits. The guys have invited (read: demanded) that i join their rugby team. Man, i was really hoping that guy was going to say "soccer" after he asked me if i liked to play sports, oh well we have a ________ team. So yeah, since you are all aware of my prowess as a rough & tumble, hard-core, piece-of-iron-like-rocky-in-rocky-IV status, I'll let you know how many guys I make cry whilst flexing my solarplexi and generally crushing. Sigh . . .

That's it for now, pictures coming soon. Headed to the pyramids at Teotihuacan (tay-oh-tee-ooh!-aah! . . . Khan!) this weekend. Photo update next week. Keesses!

--Lee

2 comments:

Ryan Nee said...

Fro the Salt n' Peppa intro straight to the finish, this was a true delight to read. I was rolling -- on the floor -- laughing. They should really come up with a quicker way to write that.

Unknown said...

wow, that does sound like quite an adventure. speaking of, did you ever wonder if maybe you aren't really in Mexico, but instead fell asleep in the trunk of a car and woke up only 6 miles from home, on Federal perhaps? it's something to think about.